Some of my former readers may remember Gilligan. At our garage sale in September, Gilligan found a home. He went home with a nice family with two children old enough to love and care for him. They lived on the road adjacent to ours so Gill wouldn't be too far away. I couldn't have been happier. Yes, I was a little sad that he wouldn't be around everyday, but I was thrilled that he would have a good home. He was way too friendly to be a barn cat (although, I don't know how he got that friendly - mwahahahaha).
I would often think of Gilligan and wonder how he was doing in his new home. Were the children fawning over him still? Did he miss me or even remember me?
Two weeks ago, a few days before the team dinner, Lawn Mower King came home from work late. He came to the front door instead of coming in through the garage like always. When he knocked, I went to the door and opened it to let him in - cuddled in his arms was a black cat. She looked cold and a little scared.
Me being me, I immediately took the kat (not a kitten, but not full grown yet) into my arms and petted her gently. We brought her in out of the bitter wind and LMK told me how he had been driving down our road and almost hit this little girl. She had been sitting in the middle of the road. She purred and shivered as I petted her and I knew she was going to stay here. She would have to be a barn cat, but she'd at least be fed and hopefully warm. We set her up with some food and a towel - though I was dying to keep her inside and warm. The next morning we showed her the hay barn where she could sleep and be warm. We also warned her about the big B, Mokey.
Each evening when we went out to feed the barn cats, there she was. Then one evening I was driving home from school and the thought hit me...that new kat looks JUST like Gilligan. I wonder...
I told LMK of my suspicions and he informed me that it couldn't be Gilligan because this kat was a girl. Huh. Good point. Another day went by and the thought still stuck in my head. She was the exact same size as Skittish, Gilligan's sister. How many stray cats come running when they hear my voice? Just like Gill. How many have the EXACT coloring of Gilligan? How many "talk" to me the same way Gill did?
The next time I saw the new kat, I did a little checking of my own. She was in fact a HE. I was convinced it was Gilligan. I called Molly* and she started checking things out too. She's convinced it is Gilligan too.
Now the part that bothers me.
I don't think Gilligan made a Homeward Bound-esque return. He'd been gone over a month. He acts like a cat that was an indoor/outdoor cat. He runs to the door and yowls to be let in whenever he sees/hears us come home. He ran in the door when the team came over for dinner. He was quite at home with all the people - unlike my scaredy cats who hid.
I honestly think this woman or her husband dropped him off and didn't tell anyone. I think when LMK found Gilligan he was trying to find his way back to his new home - not his old home. The idea of them just dropping him off and not telling anyone makes me so angry I want to hit something. If you can't give him a good home, that's fine. Bring him back. I told them they could bring him back - for any reason, no questions asked. However, dropping him off in the middle of the night is just wrong.
I guess not everyone can be as responsible as Sarah was when she decided she couldn't give Penny a good home. Thank goodness for responsible people.
0 comments:
Post a Comment