Over the past few months, I've been adjusting to life in Virginia. People talk funny. Everything is in English and Spanish. All in all, I'm liking our new home. There is so much to see and do that I've never done before that each time we go out, it's an adventure.

This week, I will interview with Small County schools to get on their subbing list. I will also sub for LMK on Wednesday and Friday (if his games aren't cancelled like todays). Finally, we will travel to Richmond so I can hopefully interview with all the surrounding schools in hopes of getting a job for next year. This week starts the beginning of the spring break count down(2 more weeks!) and we are busy, busy, busy.

I'm looking forward to getting into the Small County elementary schools and seeing if I like it. I've been warned about Small County, but it's mostly been from people involved in the high school. I've seen the teenagers around here - and yep, they'd worry me too. However, with no specifics, just a "watch out" I can't help but not worry.

I'd like to think that I can teach anywhere. In fact, my cooperating teacher told me once, if I could teach in Roanoke City schools, I could teach anywhere. Mind you, I won't be heading into the DC schools, but most urban schools don't worry me. Every school has it's problems - urban schools have urban problems, rural schools have rural problems. Right now, all I want is a job. Once I get some teaching experience, I'll think about moving to a more desirable district if needed.

Now, about those pod-teenagers...

I am constantly amazed, no, flabbergasted by LMK's students. Not only do they come up to him in public and speak to him. They're polite! Uber-polite! It's always, "Hello, sir. Yes, sir. No, sir. Nice to meet you, ma'am." It's all I can do not to stand there and stare at them with my mouth hanging open.

Friday, I went up and met his kids. I always like to know the kids a little before I walk into a classroom. Being a first time high school sub, this was doubly important to me. These are still typical teenagers. They're concerned with themselves, make stupid choices, and whine, but under that - they're just nice kids.

As his last class was leaving, several students stopped to say, "It was nice meeting you, Mrs."
"It was nice meeting you, too. I will see you on Monday," I replied.
"Oh no, Mrs." One student said stopping and looking proud, "I won't be here. I have a game."
"In that case, good luck!"

As we were leaving Friday afternoon, one of LMK's students all but jumped in front of the car to get us to stop. LMK got out and the student turned over his missing homework assignments. "I'm sorry they're late, sir," he apologized, "and I'm sorry to have to interrupt you on your way to practice."

Saturday, we went to a movie with LMK's parents downtown. We ran into another one of his students. He, too, was unfailingly polite and well-spoken. It's refreshing to speak to teenagers who are trained to be polite. My mother worked hard on my brother and I to teach us manners and respect for our elders. For goodness sakes, when I subbed for her colleagues that had known me since I was born, I still called them Mr. Smith and Mrs. Jones. I thought manners had all but disappeared.

Teenagers, with manners! At The School, teenagers with manners aren't the exception, but the rule. I swear, The School is spoiling me. No school is going to live up to the atmosphere at The School. Everyone is so unfailingly polite, generous, and kind it's amazing. I don't know whether I should be proud to be associated with such a wonderful program or if I should be upset that a little dose of manners and common courtesy are such a shock.

I'm glad I'm not working at The School more. All these kids would have to do is "ma'am" me a couple times and I'd give them whatever they wanted.