at least win the fight. Let me tell you about our weekend.

LMK's parents came down this weekend so we could go to LMK's first game as a head coach. Yes, it was a scrimmage tournament, but they really wanted to be there to support him and I wouldn't have to drive 2 hours into PA by myself.

Saturday morning we drove to PA. I forgot my camera - damnit and we missed the turn and had to ask some upstanding citizen for directions. (He was skeery.) I should have known the day was doomed at that point.

When we finally found the campus, I was impressed. It was beautiful! Most of the facilities were new, or like new. They were amazing. We finally found the soccer fields and parked. We found a nice place to sit and watched the second half of LMK's first game. It wasn't great, but there were a lot of good things happening. About halfway through the second half of his game, I started to wonder about the referee. He wasn't in official referee uniform and he basically called a foul every time someone went down. But in the time LMK has been a coach, I've learned bad refs are the rule, not the exception. I did get a little more suspicious when he was calling the opposing team by name.

After that game, we walked up to the upper field where LMK's remaining three games were to be played. At the start of the second game, I realized there were no offical (licensed) referees. Parents and coaches were reffing the games. LMK's second game went well. He put his JV kids in and they were fantastic! They were better than the varsity kids from the previous game. It was a great game to watch.

The third game started ok, but quickly escalated. While none of the refs had control over the game, this guy was a joke. A player on the other team started pushing and shoving with one of LMK's seniors. Senior Guy had enough and, as my father in law says, "mugged" him. He grabbed him around the waist and they were scuffling. The ref was busy telling Bobby, his player, to knock it off. No cards were issued because no one had any! The game resumed and the other player started in on Senior Guy again. They were pushing and shoving down the sideline with the ball when the teacher in me took over.

"Senior Guy," I shouted, "knock it off, you're better than that!" They stopped pushing and as Senior Guy walked back he looked up at me. Oops. Well, LMK did say I could cheer at the games and as much time as I spend with these kids I think of them as my own. Besides, he was better than that. LMK's kids have class and I expect them to act like it.

At half time, my in-laws were hungry so we left to find some lunch. Halfway through dinner, my cell phone rings. It's LMK and he sounds really upset. Long story short, in the second half one of the opposing team's players pulled one of LMK's kids down and another player started punching him. Three more of the opposing team started in to "help" their teammate beat up one of LMK's kids when his "enforcer" came in and took out all five guys. LMK's kids are starting to get off the bench to go help their teammate when LMK shouts, "FREEZE!" He said everyone on the field and on the bench froze - including the opposing team.

The opposing team's coach starts to play for the fans, saying, "Coach, if you can't control your players I'm taking my kids off the field." An idiot on LMK's team starts to talk back, but LMK told him to shut up. At that point, LMK pulled his kids not only from the game, but from the tournament. The last team they were to play had 5 injured players due to lack of referees and they weren't going to keep injuring kids either.

LMK yelled at his players and then told them to get ready to go home. LMK hates to be the bad guy, but fighting cannot and will not be tolerated. As they were leaving, they find out the AD at the school is an alumni of LMK's school. Craaaaaaaaaaaaap. LMK got a phone call on the way home from the President of the school. Luckily, the School's kids didn't start the fight, didn't throw any punches, and listened to LMK. It was really the best possible outcome for a bad situation. LMK said the bus was incredibly quiet on the ride home.

When they got home, I went up to meet LMK and help him unload equipment. While he went to check on one of his players who may have needed a trip to the emergency room I stood outside and talked with one of his stalkers. As we're talking one of his players comes out. He came over to me and said, "Coach is pissed."

"Yeah," I replied, "Coach is pretty pissed." (He's really not, but he wants them to think he is. He doesn't want this kind of thing happening again.)

"He started talking after the game, and he just kept ratcheting up. And then, he was yelling! Coach doesn't yell. I've had him in class. He never yells. Coach is really mad."

Negatives

  • No referees
  • Players involved in a fight
  • Level of play needs work
Positives
  • LMK's players didn't start the fight and didn't throw any punches.
  • LMK's players stood up for their teammates. They acted like a team.
  • No one got hurt.
  • The team listened to LMK when he told them to "FREEZE!"
  • JVs had a GREAT game.
  • The team is genuinely upset that they disappointed Coach. To me, that means they respect him. This is good.
We also watched the Hokie football festivities. The game day stuff was very moving and it got to me. However, I'll never be embarassed of my Hokie family. It's hard for people who didn't go to Tech to understand just how tight a unit the university and community is there. Sometimes, you just have to experience it to know. Watching the game made me want to go back. We haven't been back since I graduated in 2003. I want to go back. Part of me needs to go back. To see it and to experience it myself.

We are the Hokies. We will prevail. We are Virginia Tech.



We're thinking Thanksgiving.

How was YOUR weekend?