Second week of school is almost done and I'm still ok. I must be doing something wrong because I don't seem to be struggling as much as the other new fourth grade teacher.
I love my kids. They're wonderful. LMK and I spent the evening yesterday in the ER. One of his players was injured and needed medical attention. (We're afraid its a torn ACL, but we're hoping and praying its not. Please keep him in your thoughts.) So I mentioned to my kids that we were out late because one of Mr.'s soccer kids got hurt. I explained that his family lives in another country so we went to the hospital with him like his mom and dad would have if they were here. Pretty soon, I have kids coming up to me asking for paper. "What do you need paper for?" I asked.
"We want to make Mr.'s player a get well card."
Can we just stop a minute so I can gush about my kids?
They came up with this on their own! I'm so proud of them.. The cards are hilarious by the way.
Student #1: "What's his favorite color? Is it pink? Pink's my favorite color so I think I'll use that."
Me: "I'm sure he loves pink. Your card looks great."
Student #2: "What color is his hair?"
Me: "Red."
Student #2: "Does he have an earring?"
Me: "Uh no, they're not allowed to have earrings at his school."
Student #3: "What's his favorite animal?"
Me: "Ummmm, I don't know. Why don't you draw your favorite animal and ask him his?"
The only bad thing about the day was when I tried to share their wonderfulness with my team. LMK's injured player is from a middle eastern country, no, not that one, the other one. I was telling them how we had to take him to the ER since his ACL might be torn and Team Leader, trying to be funny says, "Wow, I'm surprised they didn't shoot him."
Everyone thought that was just sooooooooooo funny.
I'm sorry. I didn't find it funny. I still don't. This kid is 17 years old and just because of where he was born he's a bad person? Seriously!? He's a good kid. He's polite, well-mannered, and a hard worker. He made a point to tell me "they grow up to be bad people." ARE YOU SERIOUS!? Call me naive, but he's in this country trying to get an education so that he can have a better life. Doesn't that count for anything?
As I told LMK, this player is my official favorite. He's also the player I yelled at a few weeks ago because he was pushing and he's better than that. He and I have a bond.
How can people be so ignorant? It makes me really sad. Really. Really. Sad.
0 comments:
Post a Comment