Erin just posted an ingenious post about the high cost of being a teacher. She makes a lot of really good points that I won't make again so if you haven't clicked over there to read it - DO IT!

I have the opportunity to compare LMK's school budget with my own needs. Frankly, the only thing LMK has purchased for his classroom is a specific kind of dry erase markers. He writes A LOT and the generic type provided by the school run out too quickly for him. Everything else he can saunter over to the administrative offices and they'll give him what he needs. Paper clips, staples, file folders, etc. Me, I have to buy those things with my "allotment". As a first year teacher, I lucked out this year and got a total of $400 to spend. I needed every penny with the stuff I had to buy. (I am expected to furnish/purchase my own post-its, paper clips, staples, chalk, dry erase markers, folders, erasers, staplers, etc.)

LMK also has a fabric covered bulletin board which I insisted he needed and I put up. I love it. I will be adding fabric backgrounds in my room as time and money allow. He'd be happy with a basic paper covered board if I didn't horn my way in and try to make him look good. Otherwise, his room is pretty basic. He's not interested in a lot of posters on the wall (though I've been trying to convince him these are important, he's just not into it) and the main theme in his room is soccer. Shocker. I tried to convince him he needed matching curtains, but the lip sneer and the disdainful "No, thanks honey." told me how he really felt. Heh. Boys.

Now, my room is much better. If I must say so myself (and I must).

My purchases include:

  • Fabric for curtains - $50
  • Curtain rods (which are actually shower curtain rods) - $40
  • Fabric covers for bookshelves and file cabinet - $30
  • Border - $15
  • Student mailboxes - $40 (on sale, I heart T.arget)
  • Misc. Organizational Items (stacking drawers, baskets, etc.) - $45
  • School supplies (pencils, folders, crayons, markers, etc.) - $20
  • 30 white boards - $15
  • Microwave - $5
  • Trip to the teacher store for misc. teacher stuff - $50

Having a classroom that you love and is colorful, uncluttered, and beautiful - PRICELESS.

Now, just don't tell LMK that is still a list of stuff that I "need".

As Erin says, if you know a teacher, buy him or her a set of markers. They can use them and they'll be grateful!