As most of you have guessed from my previous entry, I got the job! Hooray! Cue happy dance.
Tuesday afternoon, I went to my interview. I didn't have a lot of expectations because I'd interviewed before, but hadn't gotten the job. I did however, have lots of people "pulling" for me. Family, friends, LMK's work friends, people from my school in Ohio, people on one of the message boards I frequent. I'd gotten tips from my aunt's sister who interviews people ALL the time. There was good karma on my side. I was ready.
The interview went very much like last time. It was for a 4th grade job. They have 13 standard questions they ask everyone. I answered those pretty similarly to how I answered them before, or I think I did. I even got a few laughs - very much my personality. Then they asked me additional questions like how I would handle a disgruntled parent. I asked the teachers what their favorite thing about working at the school was (go me thinking up a question on the spur of a moment). Someone mentioned an after school program which sounds like a lot of fun. One of the teachers on the committee then asked if I was willing to stay after school. Well, definitely! I've done it before with tutoring in Ohio. The interview ended with a quick tour of the 4th grade hall, which was fun. I gathered my things, thanked everyone, and left.
After I left I ran to get thank you notes. I had some from the last interview, but I didn't have enough for everyone. I picked up the cards and a drink and went to LMK's classroom. I decided then and there to just fill them out and we'd drop them off on our way home.
We pulled into the school's parking lot about a half hour after the last meeting was to start. I took my thank you cards into the office and gave them to the secretary to hand out. The committee was still in the office meeting. As I was leaving, the principal called me into the room. The secretary gave me back the cards and I proceeded to distribute them. The principal commented on how I was quick on the turn around. Then she said, "Well, we're glad you came back. We've been talking and we've decided to offer you the job."
I swear to you, I forgot my own name at that moment. I blurted out an, "Okay!" I sat down and discussed some job details (including being offered the biggest classroom in the school - sweet!). I didn't linger. I thanked everyone again and told them I would be speaking with them soon. As I was leaving I spoke with the secretaries, who have always been really nice. One told me how the 3rd grade teachers raved about me after I subbed there. I honestly believe that they're a large part of the reason I got this job.
As I left the office, I couldn't stop smiling. I even got a little case of the sniffles. Luckily, I got myself together and put on a somber face for LMK. I got in the car and apologized for taking so long. "There were people talking and I didn't want to interrupt," I told him. I started the car, rolled up the windows, and started backing out of my parking space.
Me: "So...are you still planning on going to Large City this weekend?"
LMK: "Yeah. Why?"
Me: "Well...I just wondered, since I'm in the market for an iPod."
LMK (momentarily puzzled): "You're...oh my God! You got the job!"
Me (grinning like the goober I am): "Yup."
There was much whooping and hollering going on in that car. As we were leaving we got out to call people. I made him call my mother first who promptly burst into tears. Gotta love her. "I told your dad we had to go to church this week," she said. Heh. Thanks, God. :o)
Repeat that reaction about 10 times and you have the reactions of my family and friends. Twin said she had to call her mom who had been worrying about me. I love my family and friends.
I am waiting on an official call from the HR guy next week, but it looks like I will be a 4th grade teacher next year. I'm already making lists. Lists of lists of lists!
I have so much time and so little to do! Strike that, reverse it. (bonus points for the reference)
Thanks everyone for your well wishes.
0 comments:
Post a Comment